I am still reeling about the wonderfulness of having other people with whom to share squee about Dunnett's The House of Niccolo series. c_mantix, dionusia and bitterlatinist have all started reading it, and I am so jubilant about hearing their thoughts! I started this comm for us: readingniccolo. And if you know of any other Niccolo readers out there, please send them over. Our only request is that they be good about spoilers--the books are so dependent on plot twists. (And eee newbie Dunnett readers are so cute! I want to rush around reassuring them all the time...)
Then I happened to stumble on some fellow GRR Martin fans in BSG fandom and we started babbling about favourite characters, speculation for future books, the possibly wonderful/possibly disastrous HBO series-to-be and so on:
- spinkkitty started the discussion
- m_a_r_i_k_s made this great post on her favourite ASOIAF characters.
If there are any other fans of A Song of Ice and Fire out there, feel free to come join in!
literaryll has put me on her own special correspondence course in DC Comics. I don't even know where to start on how wonderful she's been... *speechless* Her euphoric enthusiasm is incredibly infectious and I really do feel like I'm getting an education. *lol* In a good way. ;-) I'd post about the comics but her own posts on the matter are so gorgeous that really you'd be better off to head over to her journal. *g*
There are a stack of things on my fannish 'to do' list that I am totally ignoring. But it occurred to me that I have friended lots of new people recently and haven't updated my Ten Things to Know about Me (Warning: Niccolo readers! DO NOT CLICK THAT LINK--it has spoilers) for a really looong time--so much so that it's out of date: there's not even any BSG in there! Although it's cute to look back on.
So, here's Ten (New) Things to Know about Me (which you may or may not know already)
1. Fannish update first: Battlestar Galactica became my second major fandom somehow... it snuck up on me. *g* I caught up on the series mid season 2 but only lurked in the fandom for quite a while, but season 3 sucked me into more active fannish participation. *g* Favourite character: Lee Adama, Favourite Ship: Kara/Lee. ;-)
2. I vid. I'm still shocked by this, but it's true. And I'm completely addicted. I've never viewed myself as a creative person and I've never been proud of anything I've created before ever. So vidding is a joy to me (though the process is often torturous!)--it's the most wonderful new thing in my life other than my doggy.
3. I have a Bob Bob! We adopted him from a shelter and he came with the name. *giggles* It's stuck. He does sort of answer to 'Bobby' now, but never to Bob on its own. In the few months we've had him he's grown in confidence so much, from a frightened withdrawn little fellow to a bouncy outgoing little guy. He's even overcoming his phobia of the lead and gets quite a spring in his step when he walks on it without having a panic attack.
4. I really love watching vids. I watch more vids than I read fic which I always feel vaguely guilty about. This is silly because vids and vidders are awesome and deserve more love. I am ALWAYS open to recs, to vidding chatter or to asking for recs. I do hope to formally update my own vid recs eventually. There's only one show I won't watch vids for. *giggles* And that's SGA. :-p I won't watch many SPN ones either. Both shows bore me to tears. Sorry!
5. I have a Books Filter, where I keep a record of books I read. I also have about twenty books that need to on there... *lol* If you want to be on it, just ask. I keep it filtered as I'm sure not everyone wants to have to scroll past my snark or squee on what I read, but if you're interested, that's great. You can also ask to be taken off it at any time. I really really do not mind.
6. mskatej just made a fabulous poll on friending, so it occurs to me to mention my friending policy. If you comment in my journal, I'm likely to friend you. If you seem like an interesting person and/or you post interesting or useful material, I may friend you--it's cool if you don't friend me back--I use my f'list as my reading list, so it's convenient for me to have you there regardless. If you friend me first and don't ever comment I may or may not friend you. My f'list is scarily big (to me!) so I do use filters, which I know many consider to be the height of rudeness. However:
a. when I friend someone I automatically put them on my 'emergency' reading list (for when I'm busy) so I get a chance to get to know them
b. I then sort people more or less by fandom (where possible) or by fannish output (I have a vidders filter and an icon journals filter, for example--I have a LOT of iconists friended and it helps to be able to click to them easily when I'm in an icon-hunting mood)
c. I try to read my full f'list whenever I can--which is most days at the moment. Doesn't mean I read every post in full, but I skim everything. Except when I'm busy and then I use the aforementioned 'emergency' reading list of close friends, new friends and comms that I need to keep up with. I never object to self-pimping, so if you have something you'd like me to read and think I might have missed--let me know. *g*
7. Among my plans for hiatus are watching Rome (halfway through first season and loving it), catching up on Due South (somewhere near the end of S1 now), finally, FINALLY finishing Six Feet Under (yeah, Kate, it's ridiculous but I still haven't finished it! *lol*) and rewatching Friday Night Lights (because it is awesome). I would like to get to one or two other shows that people have pimped me... but that's looking ambitious. Especially seeing I actually spend most of my time playing with Final Cut Pro. ;-)
8. I'm one of the editors for sv_ledger and I really should be looking for links for next edition right now...
9. I value honesty, integrity and open-mindedness in people. I like opinionated people and those that wear their hearts on their sleeves, even when it means they screw up sometimes. I also like those who are generous or compassionate enough to champion the underappreciated--whether it be (in fandom) a little known show, an unpopular character (*coughs self-consciously*), or newbie fans. I absolutely adore it when someone can give me a new angle on something that I haven't thought of before. I don't have to agree with you to be your friend--but I probably do have to find you 'genuine' (whatever that means online!).
10. I wear really bright colours a lot. They cheer me up--it's that simple. I like my clothes to be comfortable, cute and bright. I wear skirts often, never wear jeans (what good are pants you can't do a side kick in comfortably, I ask you?), red shoes or black boots, and have kinda quirky indie taste in clothes. It helps that I work in publishing and can get away with these things. I'm also very grateful that I hardly ever have to wear make-up because that stuff is weird and annoying and expensive. I'm very self-indulgent where clothes are concerned. I'll spend $$ on really snuggly pjs or awesome yoga/workout gear more readily than I will on a smart but boring top for work. Sometimes I think I kinda suck at being a girl.
Finally, mlsky wrote some interesting Lee meta--good news for those of us feeling a little starved of meta on hiatus. ;-)