-- Make a post (public, friendslocked, filtered...whatever you're comfortable with) to your LJ. The post should contain your list of 10 holiday wishes. The wishes can be anything at all, from simple and fandom-related ("I'd love a________ icon that's just for me") to medium ("I wish for _____ on DVD") to really big ("All I want for Christmas is a new car/computer/house/TV.") The important thing is, make sure these wishes are things you really, truly want.
-- If you wish for real life things (not fics or icons), make sure you include some sort of contact info in your post, whether it's your address or just your email address where Santa (or one of his elves) could get in touch with you. Also, make sure you post some version of these guidelines in your LJ, or link to this post (it'll be public) so that the holiday joy will spread.
-- Surf around your friendslist (or friendsfriends, or just random journals) to see who has posted their list. And now here's the important part:
-- If you see a wish you can grant, and it's in your heart to do so, make someone's wish come true. Sometimes someone's trash is another's treasure, and if you have a leather jacket you don't want or a gift certificate you won't use--or even know where you could get someone's dream purebred Basset Hound for free--do it. You needn't spend money on these wishes unless you want to. The point isn't to put people out, it's to provide everyone a chance to be someone else's holiday elf--to spread the joy.
Gifts can be made anonymously or not--it's your call. There are no rules with this project, no guarantees, and no strings attached. Just...wish, and it might come true. Give, and you might receive. And you'll have the joy of knowing you made someone's holiday special.
1. A vidding icon. I really like the sv_vids default icon, so something similar would be cool. But anything inventive or funny is also welcome. I like pretty colours too.
2. Reciprocity for my characters! Anything about why Clark loves Lois (tell me he does!) or Kara loves Lee (tell me she does!) is more than welcome. The damn shows keep showing it the other way round and I find it hard
3. Anything from Oxfam Unwrapped or something similar.
4. A surprise. Especially if it makes me laugh. I usually need more than a healthy dose of humour to get me through the holiday period, so giggles are most welcome--you don't have to make it yourself, a link to a funny video, web comic or news item would be great.
5. Dark chocolate. No, really, don't send it to Australia! It melts terribly! But you could, like, licence me to eat it or something? :D
6. The secret of looking after oneself and one's household without having a meltdown because the washing hasn't been put away for another week running. I'm sure you're all meanly withholding this important lifeskill from me on purpose!! :p
7. Pretty pictures! (or, even better, picspams!) Of anything I love, or of something you love--a place in the world or a movie I don't know, or just your pet cat. I like snapshots of other people's lives--and so many of you are gifted with cameras: show me your favourite snaps!
8. What I would REALLY like, and which no-one can give me, is the ability to donate rights that I have no use for to people who need them: I'd gladly give up my right to get married to a gay couple that wanted it, and I'd give up my UK citizenship to a friend who I know needs (spiritually) to live there. Life isn't built fair and I have privileges others could make better use of than I. Wouldn't it be cool if we could trade those? *wistful*
9. Cheerleading, positive thinking and generally sending energy out into the universe (ha!) to get me overseas next year. I might even visit some of you if I can manage it! But right now, intention is all I've got, so I'll be saving hard.
10. Do something awesome for everyone and switch to green energy if you don't already use it, and if you do, encourage your family and friends to join you. Or look at other ways of reducing your carbon footprint--we all need to, and it's one of my goals in 2009 too. Share the journey by talking about it!
If you've made a wishlist, link me to it!
Disclaimer: I love this meme and frequently read other peoples' lists looking for things to give to others, however I'm not very timely. I'm just as likely to give you something randomly mid-year for no reason as in December. *g*
Reminder: wish_list is collecting holiday wish lists.