Ten Things To Know About Me
I will try for things relevant to fandom/my LJ:
1. I live in Melbourne, Australia. That is really, really far away, people. This means I am at least six months behind the rest of the world in terms of TV, fashion, etc. Movies usually get released at least three months late here (IMDB is frequently informing me that the German-speaking part of Switzerland gets movies before we do - including GoF), and we are similarly backward in regards to many other aspects of popular culture (iTunes only just opened an Australian store a month or so ago). This is not to diss my country, which I love (well: love-hate), but simply to explain the slight competetive disadvantage at which I find myself! *g*
2. I am an obsessive reader. My first word was 'book'. The first word I ever read was 'coca cola'. We were in Spain when I was two and I pointed at the sign from my stroller. It was probably the only word I recognised in that unfamiliar environment. I take a book everywhere I go. I have walked into a pole while reading. I can go upstairs while reading. I can knit while reading. I read while on the phone to my mum. Actually I'm a big fan of anything that can be multitasked with reading.
3. I'm an editor in an educational publishing house. I work on secondary school books (um, high school - 12 to 18 year olds - i'm never quite sure of the terms in different countries). I have a grad dip in editing and publishing but I was also lucky enough to get in-house training, which is really rare these days and which I will be eternally grateful for. I love punctuation. Deal.
4. I have dysthimia: chronic low-grade depression starting in my childhood. I suffered major depressions in my early 20s and was undiagnosed for five years. I am now stable but it will always be an aspect of my life. The learning curve I went through in recovering was the most remarkable journey of my life. I would like to promote better understanding of mental illness in our community and fight discrimination. One in five.
Relevancy to fandom? Lex is my hero for delivering the line 'There seems to be an absolutely medieval prejudice about mental illness' and yes, my mental illness has shaped my reading of him: that's inevitable, but I try to be balanced about it.
5. In my spare time from work, I do martial arts (tae kwon-do until a year ago when I got the first-dan restlessness - I recently started kung fu) and belly dance, somehow coordinate life with my partner (who I share a house with and who works nightshift) and hang with my friends. Therefore I have an almost-constant backlog of fandom-related activities to catch up on!
6. I'm an only child and an introvert. I'm used to a lot of personal space. Although I totally love my friends, I adore time alone. So don't ever take it personally if I'm absent for a little while.
7. I had an LJ for years before I really got fannish, and I am still startled by the enjoyment I now get from it. Smallville is the only thing that's really brought fannish participation online out in me, although I have enjoyed (and read fanfic in) Star Trek Voyager, Highlander, X-Files and Harry Potter. BtVS and AtS should get placed in a class above those others, as I was/am obsessed with them and converted everyone I knew to my cause. Except my boyfriend who resists to this day. But Smallville? Smallville demanded participation at a new level.
8. Other shows I watch: West Wing, Lost, House. I've also just started watching Grey's Anatomy and Veronica Mars - the pilots of both aired this week here.
9. I am an old indie-pop/Britpop kid. I spent my early twenties indie-dancing in one-stars in clubs with names like Flipside and Weekender. I still have deep and abiding love for bands like Blur, Pulp, Suede, Belle & Sebastian, St Etienne and so on. My music fannishness went through an early-2000s slump but has been rekindled recently by exciting new bands like Franz Ferdinand, Earlies, Maximo Park and The Shins.
10. Hugh Laurie babysat me when I was little. *g*
Oh and polarenigma also tagged me for the Five OTPs meme I think the idea is you list your five with the moment when they became your OTP.
1. Clark/Lex: Irresistably drawn to each other, destined never to achieve true unity: that's my take on those two. Moment: Lex giving Clark the foil in Stray. (I am not predictable!)
2. Buffy/Spike. Don't flame me. Don't. I have issues about this: who wouldn't? But I can't fight it. Moment: Spike attempting awkward sympathy with Buffy in early Season 5, on the steps of her house, I forget the ep.
3. Niccolo/Gelis: Dorothy Dunnett's The House of Niccolo series is among my most treasured books. Moment: Niccolo sees Gelis bathing in the harem.
4. Willow/Oz: As the ultimate teen couple - they were just too cute. Moment: Oz tells Willow that in his mind when he kisses her she's kissing him - and not just to make Xander jealous.
5. Lois/Clark: Ahem. Because I am a contrary little miss, I have to put these two down as well. I loved 'Lois and Clark' and I totally ship them on Smallville now. For me, Clois can exist with Clex because they represent different aspects of Clark - I can't really see him without either. Lois is Clark's future. Again. Please don't flame me! *g* Moment: Too deep in my subconscious to extract.
Warning: it got long.