- Our water and gas supplies are under threat.
- Up to 100 people, a fifth of the town's population, may have died in Marysville, and firefighters had to turn away to save themselves. This news chilled me afresh. Marysville was one of my favourite 'getaway' spots, as it was for so many Melburnians. Just an hour or so from the city, in beautiful forests, with a spectacular waterfall.
- A million animals may have died.
- Photos from a volunteer firefighter.
- The strength of the fire likened to 500 nuclear bombs.
The good news
- More than $50 million raised in the bushfire appeal.
- Famous koala 'Sam' (shown in the photo in my previous post) recovering and finding love!
Personally I filled two cars full of donations (sheets, towels, food containers, pet food) for the RSPCA today.
Most of all I want to thank my AMAZING friends online who have given so generously already. I'm overwhlemed by the response to my vid auction--especially by those who just wrote to say they would donate regardless. No words are enough to thank you guys, no matter the size of your donation. I can't speak for the victims or the organisations, but as an Australian, a Victorian, I am deeply touched.
I will stop posting about this at some stage, I promise!
(Oh, and as is probably obvious, I've postponed my February Vidding Project in light of these events.)