The punchy touristy highlights were:
- my grandmother being alive and well and munching cheezels like they were going out of fashion...
- indulging my nostalgic taste for stodgy Scottish pub food (skirlie! mmmm)
- visiting the town where cult 80s film Local Hero was filmed (anyone with me on this? The telephone box is still there on the shore front! I ate dinner at the pub!)
- tour of Glenfiddich distillery (whisky smells really gooood when it's being brewed!)
- a lovely walk over the cliffs to Dunnottar Castle, marred only by my mothers plaintive moaning in the background
- watching my boy go all squee-y over aircraft museums that I thankfully didn't have to accompany him to (very amusing)
- daffodils, punting and libraries-to-die-for in Cambridge
- a beautiful wedding at posh English country hotel--best of all was having my four lovely cousins in the same room for the first time in twenty years! *loves them*
- visiting the Globe with my friend Sarah, followed by a wonderfully overpriced 'flight' on the London Eye
- watching MTVAsia for two days with a fever (mmm, interesting experience!) in a Kuala Lumpur guesthouse
- finally venturing further than the pharmacy and getting in some great shopping and yummy food eating
- visiting the slick Petronas twin towers in a brief burst of sunlight between tropical storms so we could kind of see something
- trekking across Malaysia to Kota Bahru ('The Islamic City'), on route to the idyllic Perhentian islands
- beachside chalet on said islands, complete with deckchair beneath palm tree, fresh bbq fish at night, mango smoothies and snorkelling
Fangirly highlights were (there actually were some!):
- getting to watch Cheaper by the Dozen 2 on the plane (mm, yummy Tommy!), as well as a couple of House and Justice League eps
- visiting the wonderful mskatej in London with toadstoolsmiles (whee! fangirl fun!)
- posing at Platform Nine and Three Quarters at Liverpool St Station (my boyfriend and friend were very tolerant of me embarrassing them)
- bargaining in the KL Chinatown markets for dvds (sadly the 'Good Sex Bad Lex' dvd set they tried to convince me contained the season finale, did not, but it's still a good souvenir for the small amount of $ I spent on it, and does contain most of Season 5).
And yes, now home and still sick, but despite me rushing straight to work from the airport, apparently my projects are not in the crisis I imagined they would be, so I can breathe a little and ease back into things here.
Now. How is fandom? Awesome SV finale, yeah?! I will write on it later. I dl'd the last three eps I missed and watched them in a rush. But what else is news? Who has made things? What Mike or Tommy goss did I miss? How is everyone? I look forward to catching up with you all, but there's no way I'm going to get through three week's of flist backlog so you should just jump up and down and point me in the right direction... ;-)
Oh, and yes, I am glad to be home, despite the excitement of travel. Melbourne is a lovely city to come home to--especially with the autumn leaves out and the clear crisp sunny days and OMG GOOD COFFEE AT LAST!