My Top Five
1. King Tide was one of the earliest Heroes vids, made after the first couple of episodes. It's an ensemble vid which does a good job or promoting the show as a show. If you've never seen Heroes and want an introduction, this is a good place to start. (Warning for violence.)
2. The Wreckoning is a Niki & Jessica vid by charmax. It's fast, sexy and edgy: just like Jessica! It's slickly edited, well-paced and makes great use of effects. At just over two minutes, it's a fast watch that successfully explores the relationship between Nikki and Jessica in the first season of Heroes. Anyone who reads my Heroes meta will know I'm not a great fan of Niki (Jessica's a bit more fun), but I thoroughly enjoyed this anyway. (If only her plot on the actual show was so tightly edited!)
Note: These two vids make up the entirety of my Heroes playlist on imeem: as far as I could see they are the only Heroes fanvids on imeem to date. If you do watch them there and enjoy them, please be sure to drop by the vidders' original posts and let them know. :-)
3. Desert Rose is a powerful, sophisticated and accomplished vid, which is set to become a classic of the fandom. It explores Peter and Sylar and their connection to Mohinder and Suresh. Among its strengths are the ways it explores the connecting forces between the heroes, and the way longing and danger are interlinked in the Heroes universe. If you watch no other Heroes vid, watch this one.
4. From the intense, to the humorous... Re: Your Brains
shati has made a comic Sylar vid that is an absolute delight. With spoilers through 1.14, the song choice is perfection. Want a giggle?! Watch this!
5. All Over the World Tonight is a fast-paced, fun ensemble vid that makes use of some of the most visually dramatic scenes from the first eleven episodes.
6. Out of my hands is a slow, reflective vid by a first-time vidder, Exploring the Peter-Nathan relationship with subtle power, it should be of interest to anyone who likes the Peter-Nathan relationship, not just the Petrellicesters.
7. All These Things I've Done (spoilers to Godsend), on the other hand, is for the Petrellicest market. The opening verses are the strongest part of the vid, imo, beginning with Peter's point-of-view, then shifting to Nathan's perspective. At five minutes in length, it's a bit of a stretch, but if you enjoy the Petrellis, you'll get a kick out of it, and I enjoyed the sense of balance between the brothers in the resolution.
8. Be Happy is another Petrelli vid, slightly AU and angsty in focus. It makes great use of the song and is gentle and tender in tone.
9. Hem of Your Garment is a Sylar & Mohinder vid, with the spoilers up until around 1.17.
10. Day One is a Peter-centric vid which charmed me despite the prominence of the emo-fringed-one! ;-) It's a charming and upbeat look at Peter at the start of his journey, with cameos by Mohinder and Nathan, predictably.
As always, recs and self-pimping are welcome, so if I've missed some gems, please let me know. And if you enjoy the vids, let the vidders know.